Tuesday, November 13, 2012

Vote for Your Favorite Me

I've been gone from blogger so long that everything looks different.  But since I have big news to share, I'm resurrecting the old blog.

I'm having PRK eye surgery like tomorrow morning.  And so on the eve of my optical endeavor, I present an evolution of me, or at least the four-eye me.  Fortunately for me, when I started wearing contacts in high school the pics of me in glasses became few and far between.  I promise you though, that my high years glasses and my college years glasses and pretty much all the glasses I wore until about 2005 were ridiculous.  You be the judge.  Vote for your favorite me.

Kindergarten
 
First Grade
 
Second Grade
 
Third Grade
(nautical fresh and looking a bit like Monka)
 
Fourth Grade


Fifth Grade 
(Matt and I had the same haircut)



 
Sixth Grade


Seventh Grade
(my hair wasn't big yet, so I made up for that with my glasses)

 
Eighth Grade




And so, I've been wearing my 2005 glasses for the past 5-6 weeks.  And because I don't have prescription sunglasses, I do a whole lot of squinting on sunny days.  I have even tried to find the plastic sunglasses that older folks, like my grandma, wear.  Today it is really sunny and really, really cold.  I decided to double up and put my sundglasses over my glasses and it worked.  Too bad I waited until the day before surgery to figure that out.  BUT, it brought back the best memory and I wish a million times that I could find a picture of this because I know one exists somewhere. 

My older brother Matt, he's my only brother, but he's older, so you know there's that whole hero worship thing, was a totally awesome teen of the 80s.  And much like the pictures of me above, he too, has some fabulous school pics sporting his too big glasses and mullet.  We were on some roadtrip one summer and he had a pair of these mirrored lens sundglasses with some kind of faux leather blinders on the sides and a sunglasses cord.  He used twist ties to clamp them to his glasses, so he could effectively wear both at once. 

I'm not supposed to drive for a week and I'm hoping that my sight or lack thereof doesn't interfere with Thanksgiving preparations for 25 next week.   I'll let you know what it's like to see the clock when I wake up and what it's like to NOT have to adjust my moving toric lenses constantly.

No comments: